On March 26, 1918 at a meeting of the City of Dayton Commission, John H. Patterson made public his intention to donate 294 acres lying adjacent to Dorthy Lane and known as the Community Club property. At that commission meeting Mr. Patterson also committed to donate the sum of $10,000 per year for the upkeep and maintenance of the park in 1918, 19 & 20.
The park had an informal opening on Saturday, May 4, 1918 as it was already in existence, but not generally available for public use. The formal dedication was not until later in the summer. Read the article from the April 28, 1918 Dayton Sunday News
|To remember this historic occasion and celebrate 100 years of golf at Community, the City of Dayton Golf Division along with it's advisory board of trustees and committee members are gathering material for your enjoyment to display throughout the year both at Community Golf Course and on these webpages. |
During 2018, there will be events to recognize the Centennial year, culminating with the 100th Celebration Reception on Saturday, Afternoon, June 2.
Additional information will be shared on all the upcoming events and updated on these webpages as it becomes available.