| The Birth of Public Golf |
- Spring 1921Public golf in Springfield began in the spring of 1921 when several interested residents and local businessmen raised $3,000 to construct a municipal golf course. Springfield City Manager Mr. Parsons was tasked with creating the plans for the new “Municipal Golf Course.” The selected site was Snyder Park, bordered by Buck Creek to the east, the Old National Trail (U.S. 40) to the south, the Mad River to the west, and the Erie Railroad to the northwest. Construction began in March 1921, and in a remarkable span of just four months, Springfield had a fully functional municipal golf course. Opening Day at Muni-LinksThe course, soon known as Muni-Links, officially opened for play on July 6, 1921. While many had already played informally, the Honorable Frank W. Geiger was credited as the first official player to tee off. The city waived all fees on opening day. With few residents owning golf clubs, the city purchased 20 rental sets, 16 of which were used that first day. Approximately 20 golf balls were also purchased. Mr. H.F. Yenison was appointed as Springfield’s first Superintendent of Golf and reported that 50 players took to the course on opening day. Notable early players included G. John Morean, Dr. J.H. Rinehart, Lee Harwood, Bob Metcalf, Bert Faris, Harry Copenhaver, and many others. Several players posted scores of 50, establishing the first shared course record. Governance, Growth, and Early ChallengesA five-member commission was formed to oversee Muni-Links, consisting of Miss Anna B. Johnson, Ralph Weatherby, George Metcalf, Dr. C.L. Minor, and William C. Hewett. To help introduce the game to new players, Mrs. McDonald—wife of the Springfield Country Club professional—volunteered to give golf lessons. Greens fees were set at 25 cents for all-day play. Club rentals also cost 25 cents, with a refundable $10 deposit. Demand was immediate and overwhelming. So much so that children under 16 were barred from the course except when serving as caddies. Receipts from the first full weekend totaled $150, and more than 200 players played on Sunday, July 10 alone. Local businesses supported the course as well. Brooks and Brooks Realty donated ball-cleaning brushes for every tee. Mr. Yenison even offered a dozen golf balls to anyone recording a hole-in-one. Competition and CommunityOn July 20, 1921, John Morean was asked to assemble a team to face Hills and Dales Golf Club of Dayton. Though Springfield suffered a decisive defeat, the match sparked a home-and-home rivalry that continued until the early 1950s—a tradition remembered fondly by many, including caddies who grew up with the event. As participation grew, the city hired a starter for Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays, bringing total course staff to four. The Original Course LayoutThe original nine-hole course measured 2,883 yards:
Yardages Vary from Course Map Below A map of this original layout was drawn in 1979 by Marvin E. Ginaven, though whether it was based on memory or earlier records is unknown.
Lessons, Caddies, and Expansion PlansThe Springfield Lions Club sponsored free golf lessons at Muni-Links, taught by prominent professionals from the region. Wednesday afternoons were dedicated to instruction, beginning with Dayton’s N.R. Funk, known statewide for his prowess with wooden clubs. Young boys were encouraged to become caddies, signing up at the caddy house to receive a number and hat. Assignments were made unless players requested a specific caddy. By October 1921, the commission approved major improvements:
Ten additional rental club sets were also approved for the following season. A Remarkable First SeasonThe inaugural Muni-Links Championship concluded in November, with Carl Unkel defeating George Bealey 5 & 4. Silver loving cups were presented by Burke Motor Car Company. In summing up the first season of public golf in Springfield, Ohio, one conclusion is unavoidable: its success was beyond belief. |
| With Jim Hulsizer’s passing in late 2025, just months shy of his 100th birthday, it reminded this editor of a remarkable historical document that Miami Valley Golf came into possession of years ago written by Jim’s brother, Robert “Bob” Hulsizer. Within its pages is a detailed account of the early history of Springfield Municipal Golf, shaped by many influential figures, including close friends Jim and Bob Hulsizer. This is a sizable document, and over the coming months we will continue to review and edit it for clarity while preserving its historical integrity. This first installment focuses on the inaugural year of what was known as Muni-Links, a course many remember fondly at Snyder Park. The intent is to present a chronological history of golf in Springfield, Ohio. Most of the information contained herein was obtained from microfiche records of the Springfield Daily News and the Springfield Sun. To Review the Complete Document Thanks to Jim Kincaid, PGA for sending the document to Miami Valley Golf. |
| Miami Valley Golf is a mission-driven 501 (c) 3 organization dedicated to uniting the community through foundational programs and initiatives. We support the game by providing handicapping services, course rating, and meaningful playing opportunities while championing philanthropic efforts like Youth on Course, High School Golf Stewardship, and Golf, My Future, My Game among many others. Our work focuses on advancing the game’s sustainability, accessibility, and inclusivity, fostering wellness and community connection. As an Impact-First Charitable nonprofit, we are committed to transparency and ensuring golf’s enduring impact for current and future generations. For more, visit miamivalleygolf.org |