Dayton, Ohio (June 2) – Today, the United States Golf Association (USGA) announced that two spots will be available to the field competing at Springfield Country Club on June 6th. 34 players will play 36 holes of golf on the Donald Ross designed course in an attempt to gain entry into the most prestigious championship in all of golf, the United States Open. The Sectional Qualifier at Springfield is one of just 13 sectional qualifying sites, world-wide.
Over 8,300 entries were received by the USGA in this championship which is open to anyone with an established handicap index not exceeding 1.4. Of the 8,300 entrants, those not exempt from local qualifying participated at one of 111 sites in hopes of advancing to sectional qualifying, the last stage before the U.S. Open. Now, 801 participants remain with their eyes set on filling just 63 available spots for this year’s championship.
The field at historic Springfield Country Club in Springfield, Ohio includes winners on the PGA Tour, European Tour, Nationwide Tour, Asian Tour and more. Additionally, some of the game’s best amateurs will be competing for their chance to battle against Tiger Woods, Luke Donald, Phil Mickelson and the rest of the field at Congressional.
Players of interest competing at Springfield Country Club include:
· Rob Chappell, former University of Dayton golfer and A-10 Individual Champion
· Chris Smith, former Ohio State golfer and winner on the PGA Tour
· Seung Yul Noh, ranked in the top 100 of the World Golf Rankings, T-40 in the 2010 U.S. Open
· Brian Davis, ranked top 150 of the World Golf Rankings, multiple wins on the European Tour
· Joo-Young Lee, Hilliard, Ohio resident and at age 16 is one of the youngest players in the field
· Jesse Hutchins, former Wright State golfer and winner on the Hooters Tour (U.S. mini-tour)
· Patrick Rodgers, one of the top ranked amateurs in the world; will play for Stanford next year
· Steven Lee, professional from Worthington, Ohio
For more information including tee times, a full field overview and live scoring, visit www.usopen-mvga.org. The U.S. Open Sectional Qualifier is open to spectators. There is no charge for admission or parking. Refreshments will be available for purchase at the clubhouse.
The Miami Valley Golf Association is a group of local non-profits and charities that have come together to serve the collective good using golf and its life-enhancing values as a way to make a difference!
# # #